MEET KASSIA ALAMM, EMERGE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE CHAIR
Name: Kassia Alamm
Years with EMERGE: 3+
Current role in EMERGE: EMERGE Professional Development Committee Chair
1. How and why did you get involved with EMERGE Lakeland?
I originally became involved with EMERGE Lakeland seeking professional development opportunities and with the hope of making new connections as I navigated the post-graduation job search.
2. Are you originally from this area? If so, why have you stayed in Lakeland? If not, what brought you to Lakeland?
I am originally from Polk County. I swore I would not live here after college, but my perspective has changed greatly over the past few years.
3. What is your current occupation? Employer?
Marketing and Business Development Coordinator at Straughn Trout Architects in Lakeland.
4. Are you part of any other organizations in the community?
In the past, I’ve been a volunteer with VISTE and served as a Team Captain + on the Event Leadership Team for Relay for Life. I also support the Peace River Center.
5. Do you have any hobbies or interests?
I like to spend my time reading, playing with my dogs, trying new restaurants, and hanging out with my husband. I also enjoy running and working out. I recently ran my first half marathon, so we’ll see where that goes.
6. If someone sees you at an EMERGE event, what are some topics they should ask you about to get the conversation going?
The benefits of EMERGE membership and how to get the most out of your time with the organization!
7. What’s the best professional advice you have ever been given?
If you don’t have a seat at the table, bring your own chair.
8. Do you have any favorite podcasts or periodicals that you go to for professional development?
“I’m Busy Being Awesome”, “Ted Business”, and industry-related podcasts that keep me informed about trends in architecture or marketing strategies.
9. What did you want to be when you grew up?
A multimedia journalist. I have a deep appreciation for storytelling through different mediums, especially photography.
10. If you could only choose one song to play every time you walked into a room for the rest of your life, what would it be?
“Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds
11. What is your most unusual talent?
I can name all of the United States in alphabetical order in less than twenty seconds!