MEET JANE CLAY WRIGHT, EMERGE VOLUNTEER COMMITTEE CHAIR
Name: Jane Clay Wright
Years with EMERGE: 1+
Current role in EMERGE: EMERGE Volunteer Committee Chair; Steering Committee Member.
1. How and why did you get involved with EMERGE Lakeland?
I got involved with EMERGE at the recommendation of my campus president, Melody Rider.
2. Are you originally from this area? If so, why have you stayed in Lakeland? If not, what brought you to Lakeland?
I am not originally from this area. I am from Long Island, New York and I moved to Lakeland two and a half years ago from Tampa, when I got married. My husband already owned a home here, so it just made sense to move since I was only renting an apartment.
3. What is your current occupation? Employer?
I am an English professor at Keiser University’s Lakeland campus.
4. Do you have any hobbies or interests?
As you might expect from an English professor, I love to read! I am also really into fitness. I am part of a CrossFit community here in Lakeland, and I also enjoy running, hiking, kayaking, and cycling. I used to travel quite a bit as well, but that has been hindered as of late with all the new restrictions.
5. If someone sees you at an EMERGE event, what are some topics they should ask you about to get the conversation going?
Books, movies, my puppy, travel, Jesus.
6. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
This is going to sound totally nerdy, but I’d trade places with Amy Pond so I could travel with The Doctor for a week and have amazing adventures.
7. What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a doctor, and while I do have a doctorate, it is a Ph.D., in English, not an MD!
8. If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them, how would you choose which ones to answer?
If I woke up to that many emails, I would be totally overwhelmed and probably delete all of them!